Gluten free Pasta e Fagioli
- Two -15–ounce cans cannellini beans, drained(My Italian grandma sometimes used canned pork and beans-trust me it works )
- 1 tablespoon -extra–virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 -3/4 cups low sodium Organic chicken broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed -red–pepper flakes(Sprinkle on top)
- 1-½ ( up to 2) cups of your favorite Marinara sauce or substitute One -15–ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 cups gluten free pasta (I’m using GF Field Day Elbow Macaroni )
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
Note- You can make Pasta e Fagioli the traditional way with dried beans, takes about 3 hours to cook. To save time …the canned beans makes this recipe work in a jiffy !!!!
In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Add the broth, beans, bay leaf,salt and Italian parsley. Cover and bring to a boil then reduce to medium heat. Add in the marinara sauce (or crushed tomatoes) and cook for 10 minutes to let all the flavors come together. Next add the macaroni and bring back up to boil with the lid on until the macaroni is al dente. Serve up a bowl and top with pepper flakes and a drizzle of extra–virgin olive oil. I do not do dairy but you can also top with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve along the side some crusty gluten free rolls or baguettes for dippin !!!